Funded by support from NIGMS: R01-GM123032 and previously from R01-GM081070
A high performance and portable simulation engine for systems and synthetic biology. It can run on many platforms including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. libRoadRunner is major rewrite of the original C# roadRunner developed by Frank Bergmann and Herbert Sauro.
libRoadRunner comes with an extensive documentation including a significant C API, C++ API, Python bindings, ODE solver, structural analysis code, sensitivity, steady state analyses, event handling and stochastic simulation support. It includes significant improvements to performance, back-end design, by using LLVM to compile SBML models to machine code.
libRoadRunner releases are available here.
libRoadRunner has the following features:
- Time Dependent Simulation (with optional conservation law reduction) using CVODE from the sundials suite.
- Steady State evaluation using NLEQ2
- Supports SBML Level 2 to 3 but currently excludes algebraic rules and delay differential equations
- Uses latest libSBML distribution
- Defaults to LLVM code generation on the backend, resulting is very fast simulation times
- Optional generation of model C code and linking at run-time
- Supports Metabolic Control Analysis
- Supports Frequency Domain Analysis
- Support three extensive APIs designed specially for modelers:
- C++ API
- C API
- Python bindings
- Additional Plugin API (C and C++)
- APIs support fast access to model quantities
- Access to other items such as:
- Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors
- Jacobian, full and reduced
- MCA coefficients
- Structural Matrices of the stoichiometry matrix
libRoadRunner is licensed for free as an open source (Apache License, Version 2.0) programmatic library for use in other applications without restriction and as a standalone command line driven application.
On Windows, OS X, and Linux binary files can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/projects/libroadrunner/files and installed ready for use.
This work is funded by the generous support of the NIH/NIGMS grants: GM123032, and GM081070
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
In plain English this means:
You CAN freely download and use this software, in whole or in part, for personal or commercial purposes without restriction.
You CAN use the software in packages or distributions that you create.
You SHOULD include a copy of the license in any redistribution you may make;
You are NOT required include the source of software, or any modifications you may have made to it, in any redistribution you assemble.
YOU CANNOT: redistribute any piece of this software without proper attribution
The libRoadRunner logo is an adaptation of the image originally posted to Flickr by El Brujo+ at http://flickr.com/photos/11039104@N08/2954808342. It was reviewed on by the FlickreviewR robot and was confirmed to be licensed under the terms of the cc-by-sa-2.0.